Monday, July 4, 2011

I Made Seitan!


I made seitan! I've made BBQ Seitan Ribz with my mom before but I hadn't ever just made seitan. It's so easy, I don't know why it took me so long. I based my recipe off of this log seitan recipe from Hungry Hungry Hippie: http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/log-seitan/

I didn't measure things very specifically, and I wanted to make a small amount at first to try it out. So my first batch was like this:

Mix together dry ingredients -
1 cup vital wheat gluten (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion flakes
Mix with a little less than one cup water and two tablespoons Braggs

I mixed it all together and formed it like a log and rolled it up in tin foil, baked for 90 minutes at 325.



It was really easy and tasted delicious! I like my seitan juicy yet tough, and this was perfect. I sliced it up and stir-fried it with broccoli, carrots, spinach, garlic, ginger, and rice wine vinegar. Yummm.


It turned out so well that I made another, larger batch, and this time I added some fennel seeds, a couple finely chopped carrots, and a little bit of ketchup, like a seitan/meatloaf hybrid.



I ate some for breakfast this morning with tabbouleh -- I'll share that recipe tomorrow.


The rest of my weekend not spent making seitan was also good. I had my improv 201 graduation show, and it went great! It was fun and several of my friends showed up, which was super nice of them. I was bummed that I forgot to take any pictures. Darn. I also went to Crashbar (an indie improv show associated with UCB) on Sunday and got to jam with some really good improvisers. It was really exciting. =)

And you know how I got a new computer? I bought a keyboard protector off of Amazon. With shipping included it cost me less than $3.


Stylin'!

Have you ever made seitan? Do you have a favorite recipe? If you haven't, and you enjoy seitan, you should try making it! It was super easy. And you can trust my word on that, because I have gotten really lazy about cooking.

2 comments:

  1. I've never made seitan---it freaks me out a little bit, but you def make it look easy and manageable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, it was suuuper easy. And so much cheaper than buying it pre-made!

    ReplyDelete