Saturday, June 18, 2011

Beach Day and Nature Exploring



I went to the beach today, and it was just what I needed in life. I don't go to the beach often, as I don't really like any of the normal beach activities such as laying out. But I have a friend from my improv class who's a surfer, and he said I could come watch them surfing today. Obviously there's not a lot of surfing in Indiana, so I found it interesting.




Surfers in their natural habitat.

Then I put on my nature geek hat and went exploring. I spent about two hours crawling through rocks and taking pictures of the animals that live in them. It was so much fun! And probably everyone else thought I was crazy. So my afternoon looked like this:


Even though I was by the ocean it did remind me a little of going to McCormick's Creek State Park in Indiana.


I found a ton of bugs that looked like this! They seemed like crustacean bugs and I took a bunch of pictures of them but this is the best one.



I thought they were cool. They were also very social and they like to spend time together.



I found a lizard! Or a gecko!

And a weird turtle/crab thing!

And a red crab!

And a bird.



I was definitely the only weirdo I saw scrambling around taking pictures of bugs and crabs but I had a great time. I really miss nature when I'm not around it enough.

I hope you're having a good weekend and that you get yourself into nature, too. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fun, unique posting today, Erika. What a great California day! Why be in one of the most beautiful places in the world and spend so much of it on the highway? Here's to more beach and nature days!! Thanks for the great pictures, too. I love seeing new bugs and animals -- we had such a great time doing that in McCormick's Creek and Turkey Run and Shades and Brown County State Park and so many other great natural areas near here. We need to go camping again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of going to the beach not to get a tan...and I also like the contrast of you going to watch surfing and then being even more engrossed in watching creatures. It reminds me of how we all need to just play a little bit more often!

    ReplyDelete