Friday, May 20, 2011

Fashion Friday - Premiere Party and Book Cover Help!

I mentioned that I went to the premiere party for the Diary of a Wedding Planner webseries on Tuesday. I just saw some of the professional photos, so I figured I'd do an outfit post for Fashion Friday!

I wore my red Target dress that I wrote about last week and added a black studded belt, black headband, black tights, and my Franco Sarto boots.



And I uploaded a couple more of our photo booth pics. We went a little photo booth crazy. What can I say? We actors are obsessed with ourselves.




Today's food/exercise:

Exercise:
45 minutes bike
40 minute walk/jog - I jogged to Whole Foods and walked back
Weights/strength: biceps, triceps, abs
stretching

Food Diary:
Breakfast: Cracklin' Oat Bran with almond milk
Lunch: Corn chowder; 5 or 6 pieces of dehydrated tofu
Dinner: Homemade soup with split peas, celery, and carrots
Snack: Pumpkin smoothie

Aaaaand lastly, I have a design question for all y'all. Design is related to fashion, right?

So I got the proof for my book, but now I'm having debates/convos with some people who don't like the cover. I'm not particularly attached to the original cover, and I still have time to change it - I haven't approved the proof yet. But after I approve it, it will go for sale and I can't go back. So I'd love to get your opinions.

Here's the book cover right now:


And the back cover:


What do you guys think? Is the front cover too symmetrical or simplistic? Is the back text too big? Do you have any other criticisms and factors that would lead you to either purchase or not purchase this book?

Here is an alternate cover idea:


Do you like that better? Do multiple pictures look better than one?

Also, does anyone know anything about the legality of using a picture taken inside a museum? All the photos are mine, so I wasn't worried about it, but my stepdad pointed out that my original cover shot was taken in a museum (the Vatican museum, to be specific) so I don't know if I can use it.

Thanks so much, I really need this feedback!

8 comments:

  1. I definitely like the orange cover better, I like the idea of multiple pictures of you in a variety of places, just like your travels in the book. I also like the pictures of you with the structures, statues that depict where you are more so than the pictures of you that could've been taken in any place down the road from where you are in America... Perhaps put the original cover pic could replace the bottom right hand photo?
    I like the idea of a closer up pic of you like you have in the top left hand there, but the eyes are the windows to the soul and you're covering them with your sunglasses and it's hidden in shadow!! We wanna see you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second cover - so much more inviting and polished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys so much for the opinions! Any more? Bueller? Bueller? =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both covers...but if I was browsing books, the second one would probably jump out at me a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know, I definitely want my book to jump out at people. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did some research on colors that SELL..

    "One study showed that the color combination with the most powerful psychological effect was yellow title, white text, on a dark blue background. "

    "Blue: Suggests quality, trustworthiness, success, seriousness, calmness. A common choice for sales pages"


    For the color mentioned above (Blue) and your current cover color ideas...

    RED

    You may have heard that red cars get hit often, or that of all colored cars, red ones have pulled over most often by law enforcement officers. Yes, in some cultures, red is fast, hot, passionate. In others it is lucky, used in warning, indicates power, or is used as a stimulant.

    ORANGE

    Orange is warm, energetic, happy. Orange is also stimulating, often used in fast food restaurant color schemes (to invigorate hunger) and in places where conversation is invited. Last I read, orange was a new hot color for website design (2000s), however only in certain amounts and used in combination with the ever-popular blue (which is a number one color for American sites, for sure).

    BLUE

    Blue is the least likely color in nature, with extremely few edible foods occurring naturally, that is. So blue has been discovered to be an appetite suppressant. At the same time, blue is also a tranquilizing color, one you might find in libraries, therapist's offices, and the like. For sure, as one of the three colors of the USA, blue is one of the most-often-used colors on American web sites, more, blue is the most often used color on all web sites collectively'across all cultural divides.

    BUT...
    "This is not to say that every consumer will choose exactly the same thing. Life would be much simpler if they did."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of the info was for website sales pages, some not, but I assume it could be applied to books too :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helpful spammer guyMay 30, 2011 at 2:25 AM

    I like the title and the color of the text on the first cover (white and yellow "Europe"), it conforms with...
    "One study showed that the color combination with the most powerful psychological effect was yellow title, white text, on a dark blue background."
    ... minus the background color.

    One could also look into marketing research on theories of FONTS that sell too.. :)

    ReplyDelete