Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Push Muscles

Instead of working upper body one day and lower body the next day, another way to switch it up is to work "push" muscles one day and "pull" muscles the next. I happened to have some very sore back muscles today, so I decided to go with PUSH.

Exercise:
Morning: 10 minutes bike, 30 minute walk
Strength/weights: quads, calves, triceps, chest, abs. Squaaats.
stretching

Evening:
20 minutes bike
stretching

Food Diary:
Breakfast: Cracklin' Oat Bran with almond milk
Lunch: 1/2 serving edamame, 1/2 serving TJ's beefless strips
Dinner: 2 cups corn chowder with broccoli slaw and kale; pumpkin pudding



I did something yesterday (I don't know what) that made the muscles in the FRONT of my neck really sore. Any idea what that could be?! It's weird and not very pleasant.

Do you split your strength sessions into upper/lower body or push/pull muscles, or another strategy? Or do you just work whatever isn't sore?

5 comments:

  1. I'm so proud and jealous of your great workouts!! Whatever you did to your abs you likely did to the front of your neck as well. Something to pay attention to. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the workouts! I do push/pull all in one workout---usually in a circuit, so I alternate push/pull and then I don't have to rest (and I can be done faster...and get in part of my cardio while I'm doing weights since my HR doesn't come all the way back down).

    Your neck---maybe you were doing something that was too heavy for you, or you were doing some kind of back or ab exercise and your neck thought it was helping by doing some of the work :)

    Rest it! You don't want to hurt your neck---that is not an easy one to rehab when you go to far with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think you guys are right, and I messed with my neck while doing ab work. I will make sure to take it easy and not do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No idea what could have caused it, but I see the others are thinking it was abs and that makes sense to me. Nice...exercising twice in one day! Awesome workouts/food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'm liking exercising twice a day. It makes me feel more active in general.

    ReplyDelete