Monday, April 11, 2011

Buff Up Week 2 Recap

Last week I shared my observations from my first week of my new workout strategy. Now it's been two weeks, and I'm still having fun. And I'm noticing some differences! Last week I said I could feel some new strength and definition in my biceps, and this week I think I can see it. So... I took some pictures.





It's hard to take pictures of, but I can see some change. And I feel very, very silly flexing while attempting to take pictures of my arms. That's definitely a hobby best pursued in the privacy of my own room.

I also can see some more definition in my leg muscles, but I'll hold off on trying to take a picture of that.

Food Diary:
Breakfast: Brussels sprouts with nutritional yeast and kabocha squash

Lunch: Corn chowder with broccoli slaw
Snack: 1 serving edamame
Dinner: A couple bowls of brussels sprouts and kabocha squash; pumpkin pudding

Exercise:
30 minutes bike
weights/strength: chest, deltoids, abs, pushups, plank (bleh)
30 minutes dancing/ballet
stretching

If when I say "dancing," that conjures up silly images of me practicing my fouettes and arabesques in the mirror, that's exactly what it is. And re-creating the poster I had hanging on my wall when I was seven.


Today I danced to the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, because it's awesome. El Tango de Roxanne is my favorite song to dance to. It just has so much passion and anger, and so do I! =D

Another interesting thing I've noticed when working out really hard is my veins pop out. I do not have prominent veins -- getting blood drawn is a total bitch and I often end up with big bruises. But when I've been doing my crazy kill-myself cardio sessions, and only after I've been working out for a while, my veins get all bulgy. I'm sure this has always happened, but I never really noticed it before.





I don't know, I just find it interesting.

I tend to look at myself as one big science experiment. I like doing things and seeing what happens! (That tendency has also led me to eat lot of food that's a little past its prime. Most of the time I'm fine!)

I'm excited to see what week 3 will bring!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like week 2 went very well!! I love the feeling of having noticeable benefits from hard work---and dancing is one of my fave ways to do cardio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika, you are eating and working out like a movie star. I mean that. Keep it up -- it will pay off. You ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - Dancing is definitely one of my favorite forms of cardio. You get to express yourself and forget that you're even working out!

    Jeanette - Thank you, that's a perfect compliment =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! #youcandothesplits! I am impressed, AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete