Monday, March 14, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Roasted Kabocha Squash

My brother is here! He's visiting this whole week and I might not do as much blogging as usual, so I actually wrote this post on Saturday and scheduled it. Yay for planning.

I've seen kabocha squash on other blogs but never tried it myself, partly because I was intimidated. But I saw one at Whole Foods the other day and just bought it.


I decided to roast it up with some seasonings, partially inspired by this recipe: http://www.justhungry.com/sweet-and-spicy-roasted-kabocha-squash


Sweet and Spicy Roasted Kabocha Squash

1 kabocha squash
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp stevia
1 tbsp Braggs
1 tbsp water

Wash your kabocha squash and chop into thin wedges with a big, strong knife. No need to peel! Mix your seasonings and dilute with water and Braggs Dip each squash piece in the seasoning mix and place in a roasting pan. Roast at 400 for 20 minutes on each side or more, depending on the thickness of your slices. I stuck mine in for an extra ten minutes to get them roastier.

I like it! Kabocha has a unique flavor, starchy texture, and can taste very buttery. And it's surprisingly easy to prepare.

Before roasting -

Ready to flip -

Roasty.

Have you ever eaten kabocha squash? Did you roast it, or do you have another favorite way to prepare it?

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I've never had a kabocha....but it looks so good!

    Have a great time with your bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is good! I'll be making it again soon.
    Thank you, I know I will :)

    ReplyDelete