Sunday, March 6, 2011

Neon Green is Sexy; Yellow Split Pea Soup with Broccoli

I had such an action-packed weekend that I have three blog posts ready to go! I'll be featuring more cute outfits, some awesome recipes, and... more. Today we'll talk about SOUP (I post a lot about soup...) and I'll show you another bar-hopping outfit. I went out three nights in a row this weekend! And because it's me, that means lots of dancing and no drinking.

On Friday, after sleeping in, wiped out from my Voyeur visit on Thursday night, I had sketch comedy rehearsal and that night I went to a bar called Rush Street in Culver City with some actor friends. It's a sports bar, so a totally different feel from Voyeur. First I tried a green shirt with some jeggings and heels.


But I wasn't feeling it so I tried on a neon green dress I've had since fifth grade.


Can you tell how short this thing is? So short, it's more like a shirt now. So I paired it with some leggings and Chucks.


Can I just be self-indulgent for a second and say I love my hair? This is Friday and I last washed it on Monday. But it looked awesome. In a messy way, but that's my aesthetic.

Also, I just realized that this posture maybe explains why I prefer tennis shoes to heels. If you stand with your feet that wide apart in heels you look like a creep.

Hexagonal hoop earrings, bright pink lipstick. Well, it was the brightest pink I could find. I really felt like a bright pink would go with the outfit in a fun way, but I don't wear pink lipstick very often so I don't really own any! And sorry that when I take pictures at night the colors suck.



See that ring? It's one of my two favorite rings, both of which I got from the dentist's office when I was a little kid. It's rubbery, like a mini koosh ball.

Before all of this I spent a couple hours cooking a big batch of soup, based off of my Indian-Spiced Yellow Split Pea Soup. It doesn't take two hours of work but it really tastes best when it cooks for so long that it all breaks down and melts into itself. Yum.


Yellow Split Pea Soup with Broccoli

1 yellow onion, diced
2 cups yellow split peas
1 entire bunch celery, diced
10 carrots, diced
10 kale stalks, diced
3 small zucchini, diced
6 cups of water
1 tsp mustard
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
Salt to taste
3 cups fresh broccoli

Chop all your veggies. When I say "diced," I really mean cut into pieces. The veggies will get mushy (in a good way) so they don't have to be cut really small. Saute onion for a few minutes until it starts to brown. Add other veggies, split peas, and water. Simmer for at least an hour, stirring on occasion and checking to make sure you have enough water. You might need more, and it all depends on your texture preferences. I like this soup to be really thick. Season once the soup is about done -- this part is very much to your taste! Once soup is totally done, turn the heat off. Now add in your broccoli and stir to mix. This will keep the broccoli fresh and just give it a slightly steamed texture.


Yay!

This made a lot of soup. I love leftovers, and this soup is good cold, as long as it's really thick and more of a dal texture.


Tomorrow is a big day -- it's my first day of filming for the Somebody's Basement Sketch Comedy Troupe! I'm playing a high school freshman who discovers something repulsive in her laundry.

I hope you had a good weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Great pics!
    And the soup looks amazing too...I'm a big fan of soup---and I love the flavor combos in that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love soup, too, and this one does have great flavors. Most of my soups are some variation of this one!

    ReplyDelete