Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dehydrated Veggie Snack, Filming, and Oscar Watching

So glad we have some other Disney theme park fans in da house!

After my two Disney days I had to change course and get back into acting mode for a short film I had a role in on Saturday. I played an 18-year-old alcoholic in AA, talking back to a cop. I love that talking back is my professional specialty.

Here's a random on-set picture of our "AA" meeting:

I wore a lot of makeup to fit my character.

I brought some fresh fruit to eat for my long day on set, as well as a new raw snack I "invented." All it consists of is frozen vegetables that I dehydrated overnight at 105 degrees. I plan on trying many variations of this snack, but the first time I kept it simple.

I used a bag of corn and a bag of mixed veggies - corn, carrots, peas, and green beans. Very chewy, but I didn't mind that. I'm going to play around with this idea some more, definitely.


It was a nice easy way to get some snacky veggies in and not resort to the chips and pretzels that are de rigeur set food. I've written before about what I eat on set. Every set is different but junk food is always easier to find than healthy food.

On Saturday night I went to my friend's birthday party and on Sunday I had a table read for a play that's being developed into a feature film. And yes, there's plenty of feistiness and back-talking from me in this project, as well. The director remembered that I'm vegan (we met when we worked together on a short film last fall) and he made a bunch of steamed asparagus to snack on. And I ate all of it.

On Sunday night I watched the Oscars with some friends. I usually enjoy awards shows, even when other people think they're boring, but this one was truly lame. The beginning sketch was cute, but doesn't hold a candle to Andy Samberg's opening sketch of the 2009 MTV Movie Awards. It was so funny... if you haven't seen it:



Sorry for the bad quality.

Besides that, I was happy that Natalie Portman won, I thought Melissa Leo's speech was faky and over-the-top, and I think in twenty years nobody will care about The King's Speech but everyone will still watch The Social Network. Oh, and actors are not necessarily good hosts and awards shows should probably stick with comedians.

Did you watch the Oscars? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Erika I can't tell you how much I needed that laugh right now. Thank you for posting the Sandberg sketch. It's the BEST. And I agree with you on all counts -- especially that you play sassy teen pretty darned well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO GLAD someone else appreciates how genius that sketch is. It's so funny.

    ReplyDelete