Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Deconstructed Moong Bean Soup

I am really proud of my recipe today, even though it is incredibly simple. I am sure other people have done this before, but I feel like I invented it. So I'll just continue to pretend I did.

I finished off my big bag of moong beans.


I started out by making some moong bean soup with dry beans, frozen corn and artichoke hearts, kale stalks, carrots, and garam masala, kind of based off my Indian-Spiced Yellow Split Pea Soup.

Then after I ate it all, I wished I could make more but I was out of most of the ingredients. So I created this super-awesome recipe that I shall call "deconstructed soup."


Deconstructed Moong Bean Soup

Soup:
Dried moong beans
Water
Seasoned salt
Optional -- garlic, curry powder, garam masala

Raw spinach
Raw broccoli and cauliflower

Nutritional yeast

Cook moong beans until soft, about an hour. Cook longer than you think you should -- they'll get cooked, but then add more water and keep cooking so they really break down and get creamy.

Make a bed of spinach and raw broccoli and cauliflower. Spoon some hot soup on top and sprinkle nutritional yeast.


I actually watered down the soup when I took this picture but I liked it better when it was thicker. I also tried it with cold soup but it tastes better when the soup is hot.


In other news, I cleaned my apartment today and my room is so clean it's weird. Then I went to dinner with my relatives and... they invited me to go to Disneyland with them! I'm so excited! They got a kid's suite with bunk beds and I'm going to stay in the hotel with them on Thursday night and have a sleepover with my 14-year-old cousin. It has been a while since I had a sleepover and I am psyched. heeheehehehehehehehe

Also, I have a cool new raw snack in the dehydrator right now that I'll be bringing with me to Disney and I'll post about soon.

Links:

OUT

3 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! Totally something I want to eat right now :)
    Yay for disneyland --- that sounds like a blast. It's really the happiest place on earth :)

    Nice job cleaning .... I need to do some of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that vegan dating link. what kind of guy would date me ever? hm. I've never heard of moong beans! I'm so curious
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a simple recipe but really good.

    ReplyDelete