Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Carrot Cake Smoothie

I've been feeling a little blah and it put me in the mood for some raw food. I guess I'm looking for a little more lightness and pep to my mood.

I had a bunch of carrots and a few apples that I needed to use up, so I made a "carrot cake" smoothie. I feel like any sweet food that involves carrots is immediately called "carrot cake." I've always loved carrot cake but never ate it very frequently. But I did have some on my birthday this year!



I can't resist making every smoothie green, though, so I made two versions. I don't want every smoothie to look exactly the same!

Carrot Cake Smoothie
(One serving)
2 carrots, scrubbed and sliced
1 small apple (I used Granny Smith), cored and seeded
1/4 cup rhubarb (I used frozen)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1 packet stevia (banana or dates would work)

Blend with as much water as your blender needs. I'm sure this would be easy with a Vitamix but I just have a normal blender and it worked. I did blend a little longer than usual to chop up the carrot.


I put so much cinnamon in this thing.


You might need to make a few servings to get your blender full enough to work well. I made four servings.

For the green version, add a handful of spinach (or other greens) and 1/2 tsp spirulina per serving.


I made a couple jars to drink later in the day. I know the nutritional value of smoothies starts decreasing as soon as you make them, but whatevs.


I kept this smoothie very light and it had a nice flavor but if you wanted to add some calories and more carrot cake flavor, add some raisins or dates and almond butter or walnuts.

While I chopped and cleaned my blender I watched Party Down on my computer - both seasons are on Instant Watch on Netflix now. It was such a funny show! It really is too bad it got canceled. In case you've never heard of it, it was a show on Starz about caterers (who mostly want to be actors) and each week shows one event they cater. The cast was great -- Jane Lynch was in the first season, Adam Scott is now hilarious on Parks & Recreation (speaking of, watch that!), and Lizzy Caplan was the famous Janis Ian from Mean Girls. The guest stars each week are incredible, too. If you were a Veronica Mars fan, you'll see a lot of repeat faves.

One of my favorite lines came from Megan Mullally's character when she's explaining football to the artsy LA types who are her fellow caterers. They're staring at her blankly so she screeches, "Do any of you even live in America? Am I the only one who's been in a Champs?" Ahahahah oh man I laughed so hard at that, as only someone who knows what Champs is really could.

Do you like carrot cake?
Have you seen Party Down? Did you like it? What canceled shows do you miss? I know everyone says Arrested Development but I have to say Better off Ted is the real gem of canceled comedy. If you haven't watched it, you should! I miss Lem and Phil...

4 comments:

  1. Is it true that The Cape was canceled? We watched the first 2 shows and found it strangely engaging. I miss Lem and Phil, too. And Ted. What a hottie. I haven't seen Party Down. I seem to have a hard time getting into reality shows. Is this one Reality? Or fake reality like Modern Family? I love love love that show. There are no weak actors or story lines, super well written. I told you that we watch V but the poor writing is really starting to get to me.

    Enough about TV -- you gotta love that smoothie! Thanks for posting the ingredients, tips, and pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big fan of carrot cake, but I do love carrots in smoothies and juice!
    I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette -- Eeeeek no it was not a reality show! I don't watch reality TV! And it's not a mockumentary, either. It's just a comedy.
    The Cape hasn't been canceled, but its back order was cut from 13 to 10 episodes b/c of low ratings. So that's not a good sign.

    Lisa -- Carrot juice IS good. I just like carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make a carrot cake smoothie - yum. Good idea! I have a very lonely vitamix that often gets dusty. It's VERY sad!! I totally need to work on that!

    ReplyDelete