Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Vegan Caprese Salad; Blog Life vs. Real Life

At Trader Joe's a couple days ago I bought a jar of hearts of palm:


It inspired me to create this vegan "Caprese" salad.

Warning - this recipe is not supposed to taste like Caprese salad, it just looks like it.


Vegan "Caprese" Salad

1 jar hearts of palm, sliced
1 container cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup fresh herbs
2 tbsp Orange Muscat Champagne vinegar
1/2 tsp Bragg's or sea salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp garlic powder
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Slice your hearts of palm and tomatoes. Rough chop your herbs. Basil would be great, but my basil plant died so I harvested my parsley and mint instead. Mix herbs with remaining ingredients, pour over hearts of palm and tomatoes and mix well to coat. If you wanted to make this more Caprese-like, you could use some marinated tofu or cashew cheese (like the soft "cheeses" Gena makes).


I used this vinegar:
It was perfect but you could use another flavored vinegar, instead, if you don't have it.

For dinner I ate half of this on top of mixed greens.

It really has a great, fresh flavor. I recommend it!

Did anyone notice that my roommate commented on my blog yesterday? I thought that was funny and it also made me start thinking about "blog life" versus real life. I don't hide my blog from people I know, but I don't really tell them about it either. The only person who I think reads my blog is my mom. I don't mention my blog on Facebook, which I use for friends and acting contacts. But I do talk about blogging on Twitter because I use Twitter for three things - acting, friends, and blog networking. I've vaguely thought that I need multiple accounts but that would be kind of crazy. I'll just have to deal with a little confusion!

I also feel a little embarrassed about blogging sometimes. I recognize it can seem like a pretty silly hobby, writing about what you eat or how you exercise or what you wear. But I do enjoy it and I like reading blogs.

How do you feel? If you blog, do your real-life friends and family know about it? Do you ever feel embarrassed about blogging?

7 comments:

  1. i love caprese salad! smart idea to use heart of palm- i love that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika, I love your blog. I really do. I start every morning with it. If you didn't post the previous day, I go back and reread what you wrote last and read the comments. If you enjoy blogging, please keep it up. I enjoy reading it. Before blogs were invented, you wrote in your diary. And I never read it, as I told you, but you said it was a lot like this blog -- day-to-day life and thoughts. You should look at Samuel Pepys diary (http://www.pepysdiary.com/) in which he did much what you are doing, but in 17th C. England. It's the only detailed account remaining of that time. And knowing you, you've probably read it all by now haha. I can never teach you anything anymore, darn it.

    What are hearts of palm, by the way? What's the palm part and why don't we eat it? Is it like a bigger artichoke?

    When you posted links to other favorite blogs recently, I was surprised by all the other comments. Just like you, sometimes I think I'm the only one reading your blog, but I guess we're both wrong.

    Keep it up. I love your daily reflections on what you read, too, so maybe add in more if you'd like. I always learned so much from you when you lived in my house. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Movesnmunchies - Thanks. It definitely does taste good, you should try it.

    Jeanette - First up, hearts of palm are the middle part of the palm tree, and it kind of tastes like artichokes.

    Thanks for your comments on my blog. I'm not going to stop blogging because I enjoy it, it was just funny to realize that I'm a little embarrassed about it. And you're right - it's so similar to what I wrote in my diary as a kid! I hadn't even thought of that! And you know, I've never read Pepy's Diary. I'll do that =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also feel it might be silly blogging about eating and fitness but the size of the blog community proves it's not. It's motivating, inspiring, no need to be embarrassed!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still kind of embarassed about it too! I dont know why. I also dont hide it but dont mention it. I am afraid that people wont understand food/health blogging! Haha. Ill get over it eventually. I agree with hungrydancer, the size of the community proves its not silly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hungrydancer - That's true. It's mostly around non-bloggers that I feel embarrassed :)

    Maryann - I'm glad someone else feels the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love hearts of palm, but they're so expensive, they're a rare treat for me. I must remember this recipe next time I splurge on a can!

    ReplyDelete