Tuesday, January 11, 2011

TJ's Red Pepper Spread, Arugula Salad with Roasted Beets, Sauerkraut, and Mustard

I'm going to make this post quick because it's late. But I already know what I'm going to post about tomorrow! I always feel a little relieved when I know I have something to post about the next day... yes, I am a planner.

Today was super busy, as expected. I had Power Group at The Actors Network -- that's my once-monthly meeting where I get together with other actors and we talk about what we accomplished in our careers over the past month and what we'll do next month. Then I went to my callback, which went great. It was very high-energy and fun, and I was playing a star-struck 15-year-old.

I stopped in at Trader Joe's to get some edamame to snack on and got hit on by a guy wearing red glitter eyeliner. He gave me his number and drew me a picture. Not my first time getting hit on at the grocery store, but definitely the first time by a man wearing eyeliner... not to mention of the red and glittery variety. Very interesting.

I drove from Hollywood to Tarzana for my next audition, and the role was completely different. Well, I played a teenager again (16 this time) but she was mean, manipulative, and somewhat crazy. Otherwise known as fun!

Here's a very simple recipe I made recently, featuring a new Trader Joe's discovery:

This stuff is delish and has a short and simple ingredient list. Yay.

I sauteed a few pieces of zucchini, a tomato, and some frozen corn, then added a couple tablespoons of the red pepper spread and a couple tablespoons of TVP.


I added a handful of spinach and voila.

Corn tastes amazing with this spread, it's just a great combination!

I've been eating lots of salad with roasted veggies. On Sunday I roasted up several parsnips and beets with seasoned salt and garam masala.



Looks kind of pretty, doesn't it?


I'm diggin' parsnips. They're good!

I made a salad with the beets and discovered a divine combination:
roasted beets + sauerkraut + mustard.
Yes. I mentioned this to my mom and she said she couldn't imagine enjoying any part of that, but it's good!

I made a salad with arugula, roasted beets, sauerkraut, and mustard, mixed up with a little Braggs and nutritional yeast.



Healthy yum.

I'll be back tomorrow with the Stylish Blogger Award and a review of a new veggie burger!

Do you have any weird salad combos you recommend? I'm into weird!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great update. It was fun and full of good info. I think salads are definitely the way to stay healthy and happy. Good for you to put in the extra time that they take. I don't know that I plan salads very well -- they end up being whatever I see that's in the fridge. But it's true, sauerkraut isn't in my fridge. :)

    Off to my first day back. Talk with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A guy with red glitter eyeliner would be the last person I would expect to get hit on by...unless I were a guy!

    I am loving roasted veggie salads and also parsnips right now too! Yum. Dont know how I went so long without trying parsnips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of TJs red pepper spread....and really want to try it!

    I love wacky salad combos :)

    I just posted one that has: spinach, avocado, apple, broken pretzels, and warmed black beans...with a tangerine/tahini/lemon dressing.

    It was sooo good.

    I can totally see how your combo was good---the sweet, tangy, zesty flavors together----yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette - Yes, salads definitely make you healthy and happy. Hey, that's what my blog's about! I hope you had a good first day of the semester :)

    Maryann - I was surprised, too! But LA is unpredictable!

    Lisa - I think your salad combo sounds awesome! I love warm toppings on a cold salad, too.

    ReplyDelete