Sunday, January 9, 2011

McDougall Soup with TVP; DIY Mentality, Self-Reliance

I'm bummed I didn't have time to do Fashion Friday this week =( especially seeing as I spent hours this week looking at vegan motorcycle boots online. But I have a good reason for being otherwise engaged on Friday - I had an audition and I know it went well because I have a callback tomorrow! Yay! I had a great weekend and went to two casting director workshops yesterday. One CD called my performance "a breath of fresh air."

I've also been riding my exercise bike quite a bit. I usually work out right when I get up, and this past week I've been doing Pilates. But I keep getting a burst of energy at 10 or 11 at night and feeling the need to ride the bike! I'm weird. I was checking out 24 Hour Fitness because sometimes I'd really like to go to the gym in the middle of the night, but I haven't decided if it's worth the cost to me or not when I can get a good workout at home.

I bought some McDougall's soups at Ralphs the other day because they were on a pretty nice sale. I don't eat pre-made soups very often because I always feel guilty when I eat something pre-made. But that's stupid! I have this feeling like if I can do it myself, I should. So I feel reluctant to buy soup or hummus or veggie burgers when I think, "Hey, I can do that." Except sometimes it feels nice to have someone else do the work!

I tried out the low-sodium vegetable soup:


And I added a couple tablespoons of TVP. My Whole Foods just started carrying TVP in the bulk section - it's so cheap!


I just threw it in, mixed it up, and nuked it. Easy peasy.


I liked it! A couple days later I tried the lentil soup, which was also good. But to be honest, it looked like a brick of shit so I didn't take a picture of it.

Are you a member of a gym? Do you think it's worth it when it's so easy to work out at home or outside? I think this goes right along with the do-it-yourself mentality. So...
Do you feel the need to do things yourself? Or are you happy with eating pre-made soups, veggie burgers, etc.? I totally get the convenience of eating out or eating ready-made meals, but I have a weird obsession with self-reliance. I've mentioned before that I usually handwash and air-dry my clothes, too. And I made my own website (for my acting career). I cut my own bangs and dye my own hair (I've had every hair color, but I keep it natural now - gotta match my headshots). I do my own manicures and pedicures, even though I am terrible at painting my nails. I just have an issue with paying others to do what I can do myself. It's funny, I actually hadn't thought about this topic before writing this post! And now I think I might be bonkers. Maybe I can be my own therapist... heehee =)

4 comments:

  1. I am in between gym memberships right now---I did belong to one for 2 years, and was paying over $100 a month (crazy!). It was so nice and fancy...but I was wasting money, and I'm going to join the more reasonable gym that has just as good of equipment and classes (I won't use the locker room anyway...).

    I do a lot of things myself, but not certain things. Nails, yes. Hair color, no. I've messed it up a couple times...and I'm prematurely going gray so I need help with that!

    I think it's best to do as much as possible to save money (until you're a millionaire or have tons of money...then splurge!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika! This is my first comment but I've been reading your blog for awhile now. We're both LA actresses... And I nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award :) Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting the call back!

    I just did a post tonight on the amazing sales that Ralphs sometimes has, haha. Gotta love a good deal.

    I am a member of 24 hr fitness and i LOVE it. For me, its great. Free bodypump, spin, zumba, etc is included. (the yoga classes arent too quality in my opinion). Not sure if theyre still doing it, but I bought a 2 year pass at Costco about 6 months ago for $300 which is about $11 dollars a month. I love it, but then again I have a hard time working out any place other than the gym...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa - I agree, it's good to save money. I can't even help myself, I'm frugal!

    Madeleine - THANK YOU! I'll get on that tomorrow, I need a little time to decide who to nominate!

    Maryann - Thanks! I actually had another friend recommend 24 Hour Fitness through Costco and I'm really considering it. Glad to hear you recommend it!

    ReplyDelete