Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's my 1-Year LAnniversary!

Happy one-year LAnniversary to me! On January 3rd, 2010 I packed up everything I own into my two-door Solara and left this:


and drove across the country with my dad from Kansas to California (I had already driven from Indiana to Kansas) through the beautiful Southwest.

New Mexico...

Arizona...




Before seeing this welcome sign.


All the way across the state...



And I arrived to my new home in Studio City on January 5th! I don't want to show you my apartment (gotta keep my secrets!) so I'll show you Beverly Hills, instead, where I most definitely do not live.


And the next day my dad and I went to my first vegan restaurant in LA, Vegan Plate!


It's been a great year, and I love living here. It's not always fun living alone (pretty much, I do have a roommate) and thousands of miles away from my family. When I first moved here, I really didn't know anybody. But I've met a lot of great people this year and had incredible experiences, both in my career and my personal life. I look forward to many more years in sunny SoCal. =)

Moving on to our regularly scheduled programming.

I've been doing Pilates every day since I got home and yesterday I did a pretty hardcore upper body workout. Today my arms are so sore they're almost useless!

I've been eating lots of salad with roasted veggies and other fixins (am I the only one who thinks the word "fixins" is hilarious?).

I roasted up a bunch of beets and parsnips.

Then broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and a yam with seasoned salt, rosemary, thyme, and basil.



And doctored up my salad.


This has arugula, spinach, roasted beets and parsnips, sauerkraut, edamame, and raw broccoli, carrots, zucchini, parsnips, and red bell pepper.

Did you know that you can eat raw zucchini and parsnips? I hadn't until pretty recently but they're great. But parsnips have a very strong taste so I recommend cutting thin slices. I also think that smaller parsnips are sweeter and more pleasant than bigger ones.

I flavored my salad with some mustard and a couple Trader Joe's specialties.

Fancy! (And it cost about 3 bucks)



It pretty much just tastes like guacamole, but it's lighter. It tastes great with edamame.

All mixed up:

So good. And for some reason, the combination of beets and sauerkraut is really tasty. The sweet and sour flavors kind of balance each other out. Yum.

What's the farthest you've moved away from home or your family? How did it feel? Did you struggle with loneliness? I sure did, and still do. Thank God for Skype.


6 comments:

  1. We moved from the east coast to seattle. it was great fun at first but now we want to be back and are a little bit stuck. it's ok for an adventure but when you grow up a bit it's kind of nice to be closer to home.

    cute pup pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Erika, I loved this post. You know I did. Thank you for writing about your feelings and for putting up the great pictures. I've been reading your posts everyday. Sorry for the lack of response, but I know you understand how life has been for me this week.

    Your big year of change has been so good for you. And getting through the hard parts made you stronger, more resilient, more empathetic. I am so proud of you and excited for the woman you've become and will continue to become. You're so smart, pretty, fun, creative, and such a good person. You've inspired me your whole life to become a better person and you still do. Thank you.

    I'm going out tonight with the Thursday group, but I would love to Skype with you after, if you're available. We're long overdue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your one year anniversary in LA! Its a great place, isnt it :) The farthest ive moved is when I went to college in Seattle...I was on the swim team though so I immediately had a family up there and was kept too busy to get lonely. All of your veggies look SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun year in a really fun place!

    All the food pics make me hungry :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bitt - I didn't know you wanted to move back! I hope you find a way to make it work out. And yes, that's my brother's puppy. We Skyped. =)

    Jeanette - I'm glad you liked it and I liked your comment. In fact, I feel like I could tape it on my mirror and repeat it every morning. heehee! It has been a big year of change and I do think I've come out better on the other side.

    Maryann - Thank you! Yes, LA is great.

    Lisa - It's a fun place and a lot of the year has been fun. Or at least interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brave girl you are ;) Moving to a big city far from home without having friends oder even knowing people...very courageous, I am impressed!
    ;)

    I am so looking forward to see you and all of this wonderful food in May ;)

    ReplyDelete