Thursday, January 6, 2011

Creamy Tropical Dream Smoothie

Thank you for the really nice response to my last post celebrating my one-year LAnniversary. I really appreciate it!

Today I'd like to spotlight a taste of the islands, mon.


I enjoyed the fruit salads we made while I was visiting my parents:


so I made one for myself. I'm cheap, though, and berries and grapes are way too expensive. But I did see this huge papaya at Ralphs for one dollar.


I made a salad with the peeled and seeded papaya, a can of pineapple, and a couple Granny Smith apples.


But after a couple of days and eating all the pineapple out of the salad, I accepted that I'm not a huge fan of papaya. Though it could certainly be the one I picked out, as it seemed firm before I cut it but kind of mushy inside. So I took the rest of the salad and some other ingredients and whipped up a delicious smoothie!


Tropical Dream Smoothie

2/3 fresh papaya, peeled and seeded
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced (not peeled!)
1 small orange or 1/3 cup frozen orange slices
1/3 cup frozen rhubarb
2 slices dried mango

Uhh.... blend!

I'll tell you why this smoothie is amazing.
1) Check out that color.
2) It's a great vehicle for rhubarb, which is super good for you, low in calories, and high in calcium.
3) The fresh papaya makes a super creamy texture. Wow, this smoothie was so creamy it was actually like a tropical milkshake!

You could add banana if you want the flavor, or some coconut and keep with the tropical flave.




If you find a cheap papaya, you should make this smoothie. It'll blow your mind!

I had a fun night at a casting director workshop tonight and I have a Skype date with my mom tomorrow morning and then an audition! Yippee!

Do you like papayas? Mangos? Other tropical fruits? I feel like it can depend on their texture - they're not as tasty if they're mushy. But you can't tell the texture when you blend it up in a smoothie! But my favorite tropical fruit is pineapple. I loooove pineapple.

4 comments:

  1. I'm definitely not a fan of papaya on its own! But it is fab in smoothies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I just can't get it up for papaya. It's like the red headed step-child for mango.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love papaya! And $1 is such a steal! Too bad it wasnt the greatest though. Maybe it was getting really old and thats why it was so discounted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such division on papaya! I think people feel the same about mangoes - you love 'em or hate 'em. And it sure seemed firm, but I'm certainly no papaya expert!

    ReplyDelete