Saturday, January 1, 2011

Bloomingfoods and Vitamix Soup

Happy New Year!

All my travel yesterday went fine and I got home in time to partay. I was supposed to meet some friends at a bar but when I got there I realized I had the WRONG ID!! I accidentally brought my student ID instead of my driver's license, because they're both tan and I guess I didn't look close. But my friend found me a way in. :O Shhh... don't alert the authorities. But I'm legal, I swear! The night was fun and I got some good dancing done.

I spent today being productive - doing Pilates, unpacking, cleaning, blog reading, grocery shopping. I roasted up some veggies, made fruit salad, and have been watching season 4 of The Tudors all afternoon. It's such a good show but I do get really stressed out watching it sometimes!

I figured I'd take this time to highlight a couple recipes and meals I enjoyed over winter break that I hadn't gotten a chance to share yet. Today I'm writing about a delicious Vitamix soup and tomorrow I'm going to write about our Christmas Eve lasagna!

I went with my mom to Bloomingfoods, the local vegan-friendly co-op in Bloomington. We got veggies and apricot tempeh from the hot bar. I love getting inspiration from eating out.



And Portuguese Vegetable Soup - full of cabbage and leeks with a subtle flavor.



We also got an amazing salad. If I could afford it, I would eat salad bar salads every day!



Spinach, greens, slaw, marinated onions, marinated mushrooms, tofu, cranberries, hummus...



Yeah.

Remember when I said my mom got one of these?



Mom couldn't wait to try it out so she made some tortilla soup.



She got the recipe out of the Vitamix recipe book. I don't have it so I can't give you the exact recipe but I can give you an idea.



To the best of my recollection:
Four cups of hot water, broth, cumin, pepper, a couple stalks of celery, 1/2 a zucchini, 1/2 a yellow squash, 1/4 red pepper, two carrots, 1/2 tomato, garlic, 6 olives (I think), 1/2 a hot pepper, a couple tablespoons of Daiya, and 1/2 cup of corn blended on high for seven minutes until hot. Add beans and blend a little more. Add 1/2 cup cooked brown rice and serve immediately.





I loved the soup and thought it was delicious! I definitely recommend it. It's weird to blend something for seven minutes but consider how quick to cook that really is when compared with stovetop cooking! This soup definitely seemed cooked, and I suppose you could blend it for a shorter amount of time to keep it more raw. I don't know much about Vitamixes though, as it will be a long, long time until I can afford one!

How was your NYE? What did you do?

4 comments:

  1. Thats a bummer about the ID..awesome that you still got in though! For NYE I went out dancing with some friends...and had a little too much fun if you know what I mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like some super yummy food! I totally agree with you about the salads. If I could go to the vegan salad bar everyday, I think it would be the only thing I would ever eat! ...at least for a while.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maryann - Sometimes too much fun is a good thing!

    Lisa - I guess I would sneak some hot bar food in there somewhere, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have a Vitamix (it's a refurbed one and I got it with my last tax rebate!) and I still haven't tried any soups with it yet but this is making me want to try.

    ReplyDelete