Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Frankie, Alice, Butternut Squash, and Beets

Tonight I was fortunate enough to go see a screening of Frankie and Alice, Halle Berry's new movie, and a Q & A with Ms. Berry herself. Her performance is getting Oscar buzz even though the film doesn't come out in LA until December 10th and in the rest of the country until February. I won't tell you anything about the movie besides that it's based on a true story of a woman in the 70's struggling with multiple personality disorder. I just have to say again - I love the 70's! Ahhh, the clothes, the makeup, the interior furnishings... I just want to live in it.

And oh. my. gosh. Halle Berry is so gorgeous in person. I'd never found her to be drop-dead gorgeous until I saw her in real life. I was only in about the fourth row so I was fairly close. Her skin is incredible, and so luminous, and she wasn't wearing a ton of makeup like some celebrities do. She's just naturally beautiful and obviously takes great care of herself. What an inspiration.

Personality-wise, she seems very cool and nice and pretty normal. She joked around with the audience and really listened to people's questions and responded with thoughtful answers. One thing I found interesting is she mentioned when she's preparing for a role, she writes a journal as that character. I like that.

It was creepy, though, because at the end of the Q&A about 20 or 30 people kind of rushed the stage and even got on stage and swarmed around her and I found it really rude and invasive.

Earlier in the day, I made my attempt at re-creating the Whole Foods dish I ate on Thanksgiving.



I think I did a pretty good job!



Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash


1 butternut squash, halved, seeded, peeled, and cut into chunks
1/2 red onion, diced
4 small/medium beets, peeled and diced
1/2 persimmon, diced (optional)
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp apple juice concentrate or maple syrup (optional)
1 tsp Braggs
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp fresh parsley or mix parsley, basil, and mint, chopped
1 tsp cinnamon

Prepare veggies. Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl except for the fresh herbs and pour over your veggies. Bake at 350 for about an hour, stirring several times. Mix in your fresh herbs last. Sprinkle with cinnamon.


I deviated from the WF ingredient list a little. Things I would do differently next time - I would use more herbs. So you may want to double my measurements. Also, I might try baking at a higher temperature. It took a really long time! But I'm pretty sure my oven is not very hot because it lets out a lot of heat. Also, make sure you have a big knife. That will make cutting your squash so much easier!

The work in progress -


Cutting and peeling my squash. Look at that big-ass knife.


Veggies are prepped, making sauce.









By the way, those herbs are from my little flowerpot garden. =)

Oh, also... I need to warn you of something. If you eat red beets, your #2 is going to be red. So don't freak out and go to the ER.

Today I also ate some mashed potatoes with raw spinach, nutritional yeast, and garlic and onion seasoning.


Butternut squash and beets are both pretty new to me - I didn't start eating them until a couple years ago and I still don't really eat them regularly. Do you like them? How do you like to prepare them?

5 comments:

  1. That movie sounds so interesting! I know I'll be seeing it :) Good job on recreating the beet salad - your version looks just as good if not better than WF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all of this looks amazing!!!!! The movie sounds amazing and Halle Berry is one of my favorite actresses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried either but did pick up a butternut squash the other day I need to cook up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith - Thanks! I was actually surprised at how similar my version looks to the original.

    My Healthiest Lifestyle - Yeah, Halle Berry IS amazing.

    I Heart Eggs - If you have a big knife, preparing a butternut squash is actually easy. And really good in soup.

    ReplyDelete