Sunday, December 5, 2010

Erika Eats Cereal

I had an audition downtown on Friday. I snapped a picture on the drive home:


The audition went well - thanks to the people who wished me good luck! I felt really good about it and got positive feedback. I'm supposed to find out on Monday or Tuesday.

Friday night I watched "Winter's Bone," a critically acclaimed indie about a 17-year-old girl in the Ozarks hunting down her meth-cooking dad who jumped bail after putting their house up for bond. Jennifer Lawrence is getting potential Best Actress buzz and it's definitely a good movie with a very authentic feel and a surprising twist at the end.

Saturday morning I had a workshop with Sara Isaacson, the casting director for Fringe. I love that show! I watched a couple more movies last night - East of Eden and Sin Nombre.

East of Eden is a classic, loosely adapted from John Steinbeck's novel and featuring James Dean's arguably best performance. He really was great to watch - you feel like you can see straight into his soul, he can't keep his emotions off his face. The movie itself is a bit boring, as 3/4 of the plot happens in the last 30 minutes. So if you're low on patience for the classics, just read the synopsis and watch the last half hour!

Sin Nombre is a Mexican film about a girl illegally traveling North from Honduras whose life intersects with a young gang member of the Mara Salvatrucha. It's an incredible film and I can't recommend it enough. The story is gripping and the acting was so realistic it's hard to believe you're watching actors. The depiction of gang life is also realistic and extremely frightening. I did a little research and found out that the Mara started in LA and spread through Mexico and Central America because of deportations out of the US and now the gang is a virulent international force that recruits and indoctrinates kids and offers no escape outside of death.

Moving on from that fun topic. Today I had another CD workshop and then Skyped with my mom for a little bit! I can't believe it but I'll be back in Indiana in a little over a week. I haven't been back since I moved last January.

My mom was inspired by my mung bean creation from last week so she made some and sent me a couple pictures.



There's a large can of diced tomatoes, lots of fresh parsley, curry, turmeric, garam masala, ginger, pepper, and cumin seeds. She cooked it in the slow cooker and said it was delicious!



She also sent me a picture of her back porch. I guess I have this waiting for me in just a week. EEK!



And now, like I promised, cereal.

I hadn't eaten cereal in months - I had some of my mom's Uncle Sam cereal in August, but I don't really make a habit of it. But I knew that I would be really busy this week and I wanted something easy and cereal sounded perfect. I read a bunch of boxes at Trader Joe's and settled on the bran flakes. BTW - make sure you read the labels at TJ's. Some cereals contain whey, like the Fiber One knockoff.





I bought that Almond Breeze for $3 at Target. The cereal was $2.

I love Almond Breeze, but it's not the only option. You can make your own almond milk, buy the Whole Foods brand, or one of the others I discussed in my vegan milk and cheese review.

I really like the cereal! It's delicious, filling, and barely sweet (in a good way). People used to Frosted Flakes would probably think it tastes like cardboard but I really like it.

3/4 cup has 100 calories, .5 gram fat, 5 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein, 45% of iron, 10% of vitamin D, aaand more. Ingredients are rolled whole wheat, wheat bran, naturally milled cane sugar, salt, and barley malt, fortified with vitamins and minerals. I don't take a multivitamin so I kind of figure it's the equivalent of eating normal cereal and taking a vitamin.

Do you eat cereal? What kind do you like? My old favorite was Cracklin' Oat Bran, but it's a little high in calories and sugar for me now. When I was a kid I also loved Apple Cinnamon Cheerios.

3 comments:

  1. Haha I feel like today's post is all about ME! Great pics (you gotta look forward to that snow, yes?) and you know I am a cereal freak. In fact, I'm enjoying some right now...Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Whole Wheat cereal with raw oats on top and original almond milk. I must admit, it rocks my world every morning. Can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cereal...other than some GF rice krispies i dont eat much anymore..but grew up on it!

    snow. omg. childhood memories. thank god i dont live in it anymore. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette - It is all about you! You are the world's biggest cereal freak. =)

    Averie - I wish snow would just stay in my childhood memories. I don't miss it!

    ReplyDelete