Monday, October 11, 2010

Dehydrated Sweet and Spicy Indian Cauliflower

First, happy National Coming Out Day! I am coming out as a straight ally and I hope there will come a day when people don't have to hide who they are. And if you're stuck in high school or a conservative area and you're miserable, it will get better. Being an adult is the cat's pajamas and you can live your life and surround yourself with supportive, loving people.

I felt like using my dehydrator today so I adapted this samosa recipe I blogged about here. If you recently got a dehydrator and are a little intimidated, this recipe is perfect because it's really easy and you can't mess it up. Dehydrators are definitely not a necessity, even if you eat 100% Raw, but they are fun and they create some lovely textures you can't get with traditional oven baking.

Dehydrated Sweet and Spicy Indian Cauliflower

1 head cauliflower, separated into tiny florets
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup snap peas, sliced
1 tbsp tamarind paste or fruit jam
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp Braggs or tamari





I love how the mushrooms and snap peas get a little shriveled. And about the tamarind - the original samosa recipe used tamarind paste, but I didn't have any. I did have some "forest fruit" jelly and I used that instead and it was perfect.

I am so impatient. I just had an audition a few hours ago and filming two days ago but I have an insatiable, voracious appetite for acting and I can never have enough!

Links
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/10/fug_girls_best_and_worst_of_tv.html# The best- and worst-dressed TV characters. It's funny.

3 comments:

  1. i've never had dehydrated cauliflower! looks kinda like popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never thought of that before. It doesn't really taste like popcorn but it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just put this in the dehydrator. our co-op down in here in austin tx had this amazing "romanesque" cauliflower. it was light green, and looked kind of like the tops of a buddhist temple or something! spiky. anyway. used the spice mix and tossed it with chard slivers and walnuts. oh! had no jam or t paste, so i subbed maple syrup for the sweet. we'll see! the color going in was so, so pretty....

    ReplyDelete