Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Travel Food, Local Burger, and Asian Slaw

I made it to Kansas! My trip was super easy - my roommate was nice enough to drive me to the Burbank Airport, and then I used self check-in and was through security in ten minutes.

I took a picture of my travel food. I had two potatoes, celery, an apple, and that little garlic jar was full of nutritional yeast. I brought a plastic fork and used the top of that Tupperware as my plate.



I took a couple pictures from the plane of the Arizona mountains (our plane had a pit-stop in Phoenix).





My dad had a day off yesterday so we all hung out together. We went to a restaurant called Local Burger here in Lawrence. I wouldn't have picked out this restaurant based on its name, but it turns out that it's really vegan friendly! They have a home-made veggie burger made mostly of millet and quinoa, lots of salads, vegan chocolate chip cookies, and all of their salad dressings are vegan. Even the creamy ones are made with Vegenaise. They have a little booklet you can ask to see that has all the ingredients to every menu item.

My mom and I got two salads and shared. The one on the left is the Kansas Burger Salad with a veggie burger, quinoa, and On the Range Dressing or something like that. On the right is the roasted vegetable salad.



Here's a picture of all of us at the restaurant, minus my mom who was taking the picture.



Mom and I went grocery shopping at the Merc, the local co-op. We got lots of beautiful produce and some cool salsas and dressings.



We made these lovely salads for dinner. Mom is a great chopping companion.



Mom and my stepdad have a CSA and she brought some extra veggies with her. We had three red cabbages to use, so we made some Asian-style slaw. Here's the recipe!

Simple Asian Slaw


Ingredients

3 red cabbages, sliced
4 carrots, grated
1 daikon radish, grated
Annie Chun's Kung Pao sauce

Nutritional Info


Fat: 0.8g
Carbohydrates: 20.3g
Calories:98.8
Protein: 3.9g



Mix veggies w/ about half bottle of sauce. Ta da!

Number of Servings: 10






Here's a picture of my brothers this morning:


And a photo of the three of us that my mom took:

2 comments:

  1. Aww what a cute photo! Precious family!

    And I wanted to stop by and thank you for all the sweet comments you always leave me. They really make me smile!!

    ReplyDelete