Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pre-Vacation Soup

I have news - I'm going out of town tomorrow! I'm going to Kansas to visit my dad, baby brother, and step-mom, and my mom, brother, and step-dad are driving out from Indiana to see me, too. I'm so excited to see them! I hear that my baby brother is walking now. Here's a picture in case you forgot how unbelievably cute he is.



And a picture of me with my other brother, because I feel they deserve equal time because they're equally cute.



To prepare for my trip, I've been trying to use up every bit of produce that I have. It's become kind of an obsession to eat up every bit of food and not go shopping. Usually I would go grocery shopping around now but instead I decided to just maximize what I have.

I ate my leftover borscht the other day. It turns out that you can eat it cold and it's good. It's also good with a little splash of almond milk. Borscht is traditionally served with sour cream, so the almond milk gives it that flavor and pinkish hue.



I decided to use up my remaining vegetables to make soup. I had half a head of cabbage, a couple tomatillos, some homemade salsa verde, a bunch of carrots with the greens, celery, half an onion, and some leftover broccoli and kale stalks.

I wrote up a recipe just as a basic guide, but this really is the kind of soup you can throw any extra produce in. I called it Pre-Vacation Soup because you can use up your remaining produce before you leave town, plus it's so healthy and low-calorie that it'll help you slim down if you plan on wearing a swimsuit during your trip ;). Which I don't, by the way. It's also low in sodium because it doesn't require any broth or salt - the pureed veggies give it enough flavor, in my opinion.


Pre-Vacation Soup


Ingredients

1 bunch carrots w/ greens
1/2 onion
5 stalks celery
4 cups water or broth
1/2 head cabbage
4 tomatillos or 1/2 cup salsa verde
Fennel seed
Black pepper
Creole seasoning
Garlic
Cumin
Chili powder

Nutritional Info


Fat: 1.0g
Carbohydrates: 24.9g
Calories:111.1
Protein: 4.3g



Chop veggies. Saute onion and celery. Add remaining ingredients and simmer. Puree some or all of the soup in a food processor for a chunky texture. Season to taste.

This will make a lot of soup!

Number of Servings: 4

Sauteeing the veggies:


After adding greens:


In the food processor:


Final product:


Leftovers in the jar:


I also wanted to show you what goes into my favorite broth/miso soup. Sometimes I just want a mug of warm brothy soup. I like to use some miso, a little bouillon, some garlic, and then a tiny bit of vinegar. It makes a tasty soup - you just microwave some water for a couple minutes and then add it in. I find it soothing. Just make sure you use very little vinegar, because a little goes a long way!



Thursday's Food Diary:
Breakfast: Borscht
Lunch: Brussels sprouts, 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes
Dinner: Instant Colcannon

Friday's Food Diary:
Breakfast: .5 cup cherry tomatoes
Lunch: Miso soup with mushrooms and onion, cabbage w/ salsa

Dinner: Pre-Vacation Soup

Before I leave, I have my Pre-Vacation Soup to finish up, a little broccoli soup, a banana, and a zucchini that I plan on making into pasta tonight with some leftover tamarind sauce. I have a couple potatoes, too, and I plan on baking them and bringing the potatoes, an apple, and some celery sticks as my travel food.

I'll be spending most of next week primarily with my mom, so hopefully I'll have some fun kitchen creations to post about soon!

5 comments:

  1. Have a great trip. And please make me dinner soon, yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that borscht looks so full of veggie goodness! Have a great time with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making the "use up what's in the fridge" soup. We do it over and over all winter long. Not so much in the summer, though. Hope you're enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soup in summer is kind of strange. But I still eat hot soup and drink hot coffee when it's blazing out!

    ReplyDelete