Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pad Thai and Dark Leafy Greens with Sesame Miso Dressing

As I mentioned yesterday, I spent lots of time thinking of what recipes to make for my dad and step-mom this week. So I came up with some recipes and tried to think in threes. Now as a vegan I'm very used to eating a meal centered around vegetables and I'm happy with just one meal in a bowl. But I know lots of people grow up with the plate divided into threes - meat, starch, and vegetable. My mom raised us that way (though for lunch sometimes the third section was fruit) and lots of people don't feel like their meal is complete without it.

So after I made my list I went with my step-mom to the Merc, the local co-op. She hadn't been there in years, since the last time I had dragged her there. We got lots of good produce and when we came home I got down to work.

I made Pad Thai with a side of Dark Leafy Greens with Sesame Miso Dressing. Both recipes are from The Vegan Table. The Pad Thai is on page 26 and the greens are on page 37. For my greens I used kale.

It took me about 45 minutes, and it was a bit hectic but I know it would be easier the second time. Recipes are always easier to make the second time.



There's the kale. I used less oil and a little more miso than the recipe calls for. I also used chickpea miso, just because that's what I had on hand.



And the Pad Thai, garnished with cilantro. If I was going to make it again, I'd add more veggies! Especially more broccoli. It looked like I had used a lot until I mixed it all together. And sorry that the picture looks kind of messy. I've noticed that other food bloggers make their food look all perfect but I'm just not like that. And it always looks kind of messy because I mixed it around in that bowl. Oh, well. I still think it looks delicious.



And there's my plate. I tried to be heavy on the veggies, light on the noodles.

Overall verdict - both recipes are great. My dad said that he doesn't usually like kale, but this recipe was pretty good. He's not really an effusive guy, so that's a good review. My step-mom said she really liked the pad thai she even got seconds. I would definitely recommend that you guys check out these recipes!

Tonight I'm making Panini with Lemon-Basil Pesto, Pea Soup, and salad. Check back tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. I find that when cooking for a non-vegetarian/vegan, a stir fry or pad thai style dish is usually a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your menu and pictures are wonderful, Erika. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I'm sometimes a bit wary of making "ethnic" food for eaters of the typical American diet, but it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete