Tuesday, August 3, 2010

я хочу есть борщ (BORSCHT)

I stopped in at Whole Foods today after my Cardio Barre class and bought some kale, a few potatoes, nooch, romaine lettuce, sun-dried tomatoes, a beet, and brussels sprouts. The woman at the check-out asked if I was making something and I said that I just eat a lot of vegetables!

I also bought these unbelievably incredible local, organic cherry tomatoes:



And now I'm bummed because I ate them all. They were delicious!

Today's food diary:
Breakfast: Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
Lunch: 1 basket cherry tomatoes, salad with romaine lettuce, peach salsa, and homemade Rawmesan
Snack: 1/4 banana mashed with 1/3 cup frozen mixed berries
Dinner: 1 Instant Colcannon, 1 cup Borscht

I looked at several recipes for borscht and mixed and matched to make my own version. I knew I wanted to include cabbage. I'd actually only eaten borscht on one other occasion, and that was in St. Petersburg, Russia and it was amazing. My version was pretty good, too. I bet it also would have tasted good if I had blended some of it, but I was too lazy for that.

Borscht

1/2 onion
1/2 carrot
1 rib celery
1 beet, peeled and diced
1/2 - 1 cup cabbage, thinly sliced
garlic
2 cups water or broth
dill, parsley, and bay leaf
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Saute diced onion, carrot, and celery until soft. Add beet, cabbage, and water and bring to a boil. Turn to simmer, cover, and let cook for 20-30 minutes. Add seasonings and apple cider vinegar to taste.



2 comments:

  1. That borscht looks surprisingly great. And I love that you wrote the title in Russian. Too fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. спасибо! (Thank you!)

    ReplyDelete