Saturday, August 14, 2010

Fruit Salad Rules, Red Pepper Spinach Potato Salad

I have a great recipe for you guys today. =)

So last time I posted, I told you we were going to see 1776 in Kansas City. Well we did and it was great! I went with my mom and step-grandma and we hung out for several hours in Crown Center before the play. We got dinner at ZTeca, a burrito place, and got a naked burrito with rice, beans, mushrooms, and fajita veggies. It wasn't great but it was fuel. Then we just walked upstairs and went to the play.

1776 is traditionally almost all-male, with two female roles of Martha Jefferson and Abigail Adams. In this rendition, all of the roles were played by women. That may sound strange, but it really worked. Plus, if the American Revolution happened today, women would certainly be a part of the government. And women were a part of the movement then, too, as you can see through the example of Abigail Adams, who really challenged and shaped her husband into becoming the man he was. I also felt that some of the songs were just more beautiful sung by women's voices. We were also surprised to see that one of our favorite actresses from IU, Allison Moody, was in the cast. Mom and I had seen her in many plays at IU and it turns out she graduated and moved back to her hometown of Kansas City. So all KC theatergoers should definitely keep an eye out for her!

Yesterday Mom made us a lovely salad for lunch.


And I made a kick-ass fruit salad for the family to share.



I have a couple important tips on how to make a good fruit salad. These should be easy, but I've eaten enough icky fruit salads to know that people don't always get it.

1) NO BANANAS. Don't put bananas in your fruit salad. They get mushy and icky.
2) Don't cut up stringy orange segments. Leave 'em out.
3) Don't get too overzealous with your mixing and smash all your berries.
4) You need something with acid to keep your fruit fresh. The best choice is just to add some fresh or canned pineapple slices - the taste is great and it'll keep your apples from browning. A little lemon juice also works if you like that flavor. For this fruit salad, I didn't have any pineapple so I used a few splashes of orange juice and it worked great.

Mom and I babysat my baby brother all day yesterday so my dad and stepmom could get some staycation. Baby brother took a little nap in my mom's arms and it was so cute!



And last night we had a crazy lightning storm.



For dinner last night we had potato salad, corn on the cob, and my mom and stepdad had burgers. The potato salad turned out great and that's the recipe I am sharing with you today!

Red Pepper Spinach Potato Salad

5 potatoes
1 bunch spinach
1/2 cup black olives
1/4 bottle Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp sunflower seeds

1) Wash your potatoes and boil them until soft. Red potatoes will hold their shape better, yellow potatoes do OK, and russet potatoes will pretty much mash themselves. So it all depends on how you want your potato texture. I used yellow potatoes.

2) Wash and tear up your spinach.

3) Once potatoes are done, cut up into bite-sized chunks. Put in a bowl and dress with vinaigrette and vinegar - the dressing absorbs better when the potatoes are warm.

4) Add spinach and mix. If you like your spinach really wilted, add it immediately. If not, wait until the potatoes are cooler.

5) Chop up your olives and add them and the sunflower seeds and stir. If you have any olive juice, you can add some of that, too.

Eat warm or refrigerate and eat cold.



I ate it again for breakfast this morning. It's that good!

1 comment: