Friday, August 20, 2010

Epic Sandwiches and Pea Soup

Last night's dinner was EPIC. I made the biggest sandwiches the world has ever seen. And they were awesome.

I made the Panini with Lemon-Basil Pesto on pg. 162 of The Vegan Table, along with Split Pea Soup from page 98. I had considered making a salad, too, but it ended up being unnecessary. We had plenty of food.

I started the pea soup first, because it needed at least an hour to cook. The recipe calls for two cups of dry split peas, and I just eyeballed it when I bought them from the bulk section. So imagine how freakin' pleased I was with myself when I poured them into a measuring cup and saw that I had EXACTLY two cups of peas. Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!



Cool.

I won't reprint the recipe out of deference to the author, but you should check out the cookbook. I think it's a great soup recipe because it's easy and provides a lot of food for cheap - dry split peas are really inexpensive. The soup has split peas, carrot, celery, onion, potato, basil, parsley, marjoram, liquid smoke, dry mustard, and pepper.

I took a picture of my bowl of soup.



Then my dad said, "Take a picture of mine, it looks better."


And now... (cue drumroll please)... the world's biggest sandwiches.

The panini are supposed to be on ciabatta bread, but we bought ciabatta rolls instead just because that's what we saw first. Well it turns out that the rolls made the sandwiches way too big to fit in the George Foreman-esque grill we were trying to use, so everyone got a half-panino -- only one side was grilled. Heheh. (Italian note: panino means sandwich. Panini is plural and means sandwiches. Paninis is redundant and silly)

The sandwiches feature homemade Lemon-Basil Pesto with walnuts instead of pine nuts (pine nuts are crazy expensive/impossible to find right now. Did you know?), grilled zucchini slices, tomato slices, red onion slices, and balsamic vinegar. They were supposed to have roasted red pepper, too, but my step-mom doesn't like peppers. She also pointed out that they would taste good with some mushrooms, so... note for next time. My dad saw his sandwich and said, "Oh my god, there are onions on here?" And I replied, "Yeah don't you like onions?" So he said, "Yeah but I have to go to work and TALK to people!" - so he picked his off.

So here's my sandwich:


And here's dad heartily enjoying his sandwich.


And here's my step-mom cutting her sandwich in order to eat it.


They were a little tricky to eat but I've never had so much fun trying to take a bite of a sandwich. Everyone enjoyed their food and my dad pronounced it delicious.

I definitely recommend making both the soup and the sandwiches. Just use flatter bread if you plan on actually making panini.

What are your favorite vegan sandwich fillings? And if anyone has suggestions for something I should make for my family this week, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. My favorite vegan sandwich involves a whole wheat wrap, spinach, sprouts, avocado, and hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove sprouts on a sandwich. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun pictures, Erika. And what a breakthrough for you -- measuring on sight! Never happened before.

    ReplyDelete